Check out the recipe below, have fun and don’t forget to upload your chickpea bites using our ‘Over to You’ section!
• 4 medium carrots (400g) or a sweet potato, peeled
• 1 onion
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• A handful of spinach or a mixture of herbs such as coriander and parsley, all chopped finely
• A tin of chickpeas, drained
• 1tsp each paprika, cumin and dried coriander (and some chilli if you like it hot!)
• 6 tbsp breadcrumbs or polenta (gluten free) or crushed crackers – for coating the bites
What to do:
Preheat the oven to 200c/gas mark6
• Wash and peel the carrots (or sweet potato) and chop them into big chunks; about 2 cm wide. Finely chop the onion.
• Place the carrots, chopped onion and garlic in a roasting dish and add 1 tbsp oil. Stir so the vegetables are all coated in oil.
• Roast for 30 minutes or until they are soft, stirring half-way through.
• Place the cooked carrot mixture in a large bowl and allow to cool.
• Add the drained chickpeas, spices, and any chopped herbs you are using.
• Mash the mixture using your hands, a fork or potato masher (or whizz briefly in a blender). You want the mixture to be chunky so you can still see the different ingredients.
• Have a taste – you can add more spice, a squeeze of lemon, or salt and pepper.
• Wash your hands and form the mixture into small bites size balls. Cover a plate with the crumbs or polenta and roll the Chickpea Bites around until they are coated.
• Drizzle 1tsp of olive oil into the roasting that you used for the carrots. Add the Chickpea Bites and roll them around so they have a light coating of oil. Place the tray in the oven for 15 minutes and then turn the bites over and cook for a further 10 minutes. Serve with a pitta bread and salad.