Today, Monika & Veronika create a healthy and tasty pepper, bean and cheese wrap which is super easy for you to make at home and can also be eaten cold – perfect for a picnic!
Remember to wrap it up carefully so the filling doesn’t come out!
• 1 large onion
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp paprika
• 2 peppers (different colours),
• 1 x400g tins kidney beans drained
• 1 x400g tin chopped tomatoes
• 1 bay leaf (optional)
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• lemon or lime juice (to taste)
• Salt and pepper
• 8 flour or corn tortillas (wraps)
Optional: grated cheese, cooked chicken, sour cream or yoghurt, sliced lettuce, chilli sauce
What to do:
• Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions.
• Cook them until they are soft, which will take about 15 minutes on a high heat, stirring often.
• Add the garlic, and spices and stir for another 2 minutes.
• Add the peppers and stir them until they are well coated in the spices.
• Add the beans, bay leaves, tomatoes and sugar and simmer for 20 minutes.
• Taste and add salt and pepper and a little more sugar if needed.
• To make wraps: warm 4 flour or corn tortillas/wraps in the oven (or microwave) place a spoonful of the Beans and Peppers at one end and top with grated cheese. You can also add rice, salad, sour cream/yoghurt, cooked chicken and extra chilli if you like
• Fold the bottom of the wrap over the filling, then fold the edges in, carefully roll the wrap up without squeezing.
• You can also serve this with rice, tortilla chips or baked potatoes