Charlotte and Braiden are in the Children’s Kitchen this week as they make a lovely tomato sauce which goes great poured over pasta or even as a base sauce for a pizza.
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion
• 1 stick of celery
• 1 carrot, peeled
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
• 1 tsp of tomato puree
• 1 kilo fresh tomatoes chopped
• 1x400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• Herbs (if you have them-don’t worry if not!) 2 bay leaves, a sprig of rosemary or thyme
What to do:
• Cut the onion, celery and carrot into very small pieces
• Warm the olive oil in a saucepan.
• Fry the onions on a low heat until they are really soft. This takes longer than you’d think, usually about 15 minutes. You don’t want them to go brown so keep the heat low.
• Add the celery, carrot, garlic and tomato puree and continue cooking gently for a further 5 minutes until they are softening, add a little water if they stick.
• Add the tomatoes and herbs.
• Cook over gentle heat for at least 20 minutes, or longer if you can.
• Season to taste and use as a delicious pasta sauce or pizza topping